Friday, March 4, 2016

How To Close Like a Pro – The “3-Step Setup”

The number one reason why you struggle to close the deal and enroll a new distributor is your specific belief and mind-set.  It’s how you perceive what’s happening.  If you believe you’re twisting somebody’s arm or taking advantage of someone then you really have to examine what’s happening in your own mind. You have to feel great about your company, your product and really believe that you would use the product or service even if a business opportunity wasn’t attached or you’d better look for another opportunity.

I’ve been in companies before that were great companies and had a great product, but to be honest, I wouldn’t use the product if there wasn’t an opportunity attached – so I changed.  The company I’m now with I absolutely LOVE and was a customer for a year before I started building the business.  I feel absolutely excited to share the product and the opportunity with my daughters and even my grandkids and I have zero hesitation closing someone into the opportunity because I honestly believe in my gut that it will benefit them and I’ll never have to feel bad about it. So the first step in closing is you must believe that what you’re offering is the real deal that you can share even with your grandkids or aunt with no emotional hesitation at all.

Closing begins with the invitation. Everything you do from the first time you open your mouth is leading to an end result.  The invite sells a meeting or time to sit down and do the presentation.  Nothing more.

When you start the presentation, you’ll begin by  setting the stage with three steps.  Here they are.

1. Share your WHY
As you begin you want to share not only what caused you to be open to looking at this opportunity, but what caused you to join.  The key here is authenticity. You can smell a fake a mile away and so can your prospect.

2. Big Deal, All In
In this step, you let them know that this is a big deal and that you’re all in. If you’re just dipping your toe in and trying it out then you have little to no chance of getting anyone to join you.

3. Doesn’t  Matter
This is where you reassure your prospect that it doesn’t matter if they decide to join you or not. You’re going to build this business with or without them, and the decision is totally up to them, but they deserve to at least hear about this. You’re doing them a favor showing them your company and not the other way around! You are qualifying them to see if they have what it takes to join you in a potential 6-figure opportunity and understand that not everyone will meet your standards and in all reality, you don’t want everyone to join you.  The quicker you can sort the tire kickers and skeptics from the doers and business builders, the quicker you will become successful. 

Think of the presentation as you interviewing them for an executive position in your corporation and you are the CEO. You’ll interview a lot more people than you hire because you want only the best. The faster you get this in your mind, the faster you’ll develop the posture of a real professional.

I used to sell financial services.  There was one product we had that was not a good choice for people unless they were going to be committed to stick with it for 10 years.  I was  #1 in our office selling it and the approach I took is I’d tell my client before the presentation, “Mary, I’m going to show you how to pay yourself first for the next 10 years, but I want to tell you up front this is a very  bad choice unless you’re going to stick with it for the long haul.”  After I showed it, I would again stress that I wouldn’t recommend they do this unless they were absolutely sure they were committed.”  To my amazement, I closed almost every person I showed the product to.  They loved it and referred people to me all the time.  I never once tried to persuade someone to buy one, in fact just the opposite. I was not attached to the outcome and they never felt pressure to buy. I’m still amazed at how people react.

4. Keep it Simple
John, after I show you what I’m about to I will ask you a question as to where you see yourself and what your interest level is.  I also want you to pay careful attention to how I show you and ask yourself if you could do what I’m doing with you.  Then hit the video, or demo the app or play the recording.  The simpler the presentation, the more easily a person can see themselves doing it.

The primary motivator that makes a person take action is emotion.  People buy on emotion, then back it up with logic.  Most people fail at closing because of their language after the presentation.  “So, what did you think?” Bad question because you just asked them a logical question.  You just accessed the logical side of the brain, not the buying side of the brain.

Many ask that question because it is the least confrontational question to ask.  Then after the person tells you what they think, you start to ramble and try to re-sell the opportunity, the company, the comp plan, blah, blah, blah and you’re pretty much dead in the water!  Why? Because you are now being a sales person and that’s the very thing they don’t want and can’t do comfortably. The more you try to sell, the less they want to join you because 95% of the people in the world hate to sell.

So, when the presentation is over you have only one job – collect a decision! “Are you ready to get started?”  If they have a question, answer it briefly and simply, then ask again, “so are you ready to get started?” Now let’s talk about some general rules for closing.

# 1 – Have Fun!
If it’s fun, people will want to join you because that’s a feeling and people buy on emotion. Again it’s got to be authentic.

# 2 Posture UP!
This is really really true and important.  They need you, you don’t need them! You’d love to have them as your partner, but you don’t need them.

# 3 Be Excited!
I’m typically not a really bubbly personality, but I genuinely get excited when I talk about my business. It’s fun, I love the response I get from my customers and family, and it comes naturally. You have to be genuinely excited about what you’re doing and what it could do for your prospect as well.

# 4 ZERO Emotional Attachment to the Outcome!
This is critically important.  This may take you a while to develop, but it is so vital.  Some will. Some won’t. So what? Someone’s waiting.  You must be as emotionally detached from them saying YES or NO as the flight attendant offering you peanuts on the plane.  “Sir, would you like some peanuts?” No thanks.  “How about you maam, would you like some peanuts?”  Can you imagine how ridiculous she would look trying to talk you into taking peanuts and begging you?  That’s how ridiculous and unprofessional you look if you’re attached to the outcome of your presentation.

When you become unafraid of people saying NO, they actually start saying YES.

# 5 Learn to LOVE to Close!
People are afraid of rejection and that’s because they feel an emotional attachment to the outcome.  When you detach yourself from the outcome, closing actually becomes fun and enjoyable.

# 6 Assume the Sale
Of course they’re going to join you.  It’s called the assumptive close.  One way to do this is to have an application already filled out with as much information as possible and have it out.  When the presentation is done you can say, “If you feel good about what you just saw all we need to do is get the rest of the information and welcome you to the team.  Are you ready to get started?”

Effective Closing Lines
Use your own personality and vocabulary when memorizing these, but definitely memorize them so they become second nature.  Close early and close often.

Don’t start re-selling when the presentation is over, get right in to getting a decision.  You’re done with the presentation and simply do this.  Either high five or put out your hand and say, “You’re in, Right?” Or, “So, you ready to get started?” (as you nod your head YES).  “Do you have any questions or you ready to get started?”

One that I use, is before I start the presentation, I tell them this, “Bob most people who see what I’m about to show you love it and join us. There are four types of people that join us, 1. Customer, 2. Referral Partner, 3. Part Timer or 4. Full Time.  At the end of the presentation, I’ll ask you if you had to make a decision today, which one would you'd choose.” Then after the presentation, I ask which type they are and they already know that I’m going to.

Once you ask, SHUT UP!  It takes a person 8 seconds to process a decision in their mind. The average unprofessional sales person waits only 3 seconds before they feel the need to start talking again and re-selling.  If you talk first, you’ve just talked the person out of making a decision or at least derailed their thought process.  Ask and Shut Up!

If they ask a question, answer it briefly, then repeat the close, “So are you ready to get started?”  If another question, answer it, “So any more questions before we get you started?”

Two Step Close
Immediately after the presentation,  step 1 is “Awesome, what did you like best?” You are accessing the emotional side of the brain, which is the decision maker.”  They are going to tell you what they like.  Shut up, listen, smile and nod.  After they finish say, “Sounds like you’re ready to get started!”  Shut UP!

Three Step Close (especially for a video presentation)
1. “Awesome right?  What did you like best?”
2. “Great, listen I have to ask you a question to see if you qualify for this.  Do you think you can hit PLAY on a video like I just did with you?” YES.
3.  Congratulations!  You qualify.  Welcome to the team! Let’s get you plugged in and show you how to make all your money back in the next week.